Friday 2 August 2013

AFTERMATH: Unfreezing


As you might be aware, the first 22 episodes of this blog are the text of my ebook, 'How To Become A Crack Addict' (from Jan to April 2013).  From that solemn point onward, I present you with the daily musings of me, your blogger, Benjamin of Turnham Green.  Some of the thoughts and reflections here may be of a profound and adult nature, so grow down, grow up...

UNFREEZING

Even with the cajoling of global-warming, glaciers are notoriously reluctant to melt, and move on.  It's partly because, when you've been sitting around for so long, it's quite hard to think of new things to do.  Also, even if one starts, how will all those lost years be redeemed?

I knew a glacier once, who refused to melt, despite the fact that everything about him was jungle and humid sun.  Rabbits, snakes, and creatures of the foliage would sometimes play and skid upon him, like a frosty uncle with a high threshold for horseplay.  I, below, at his side, where a crack was promising to lengthen, enquired as to the reason for his stasis.

He didn't want the parasites to lose their playground.

I coaxed a touch, suggesting that a little melting could lead to a modest brook for the roughhousers to splash around in, but he, looming above, would still provide a decent plateau upon which to skate and play, perhaps even with a sloping side for skiing and tobogganing.

I could tell he was considering.

Then, after a few thousand years, he said, 'Yes, what the hell, let's be spontaneous...'

And my glacial friend cried tears of both his own, and someone else's, joy.

And that is all I have to say at present.

No comments:

Post a Comment