Thursday 9 April 2015

NARCOTICS ANONYMOUS CONVENTION

Hello, and thanks for stumbling on this page.  I don't think there's any secret Google path to it, or any way you can burrow to it through the 'undernet'.  But I'm glad you're here (I think).  I'm just updating my druglog (yawn), for your entertainment and edification.  The first 22 posts of this blog are the text of my book 'How To Become A Crack Addict' (very cute title), and since then it's the sporadic meanderings of me, who chooses to call himself Benjamin of Turnham Green, for social and tax reasons...


NARCOTICS ANONYMOUS CONVENTION

This week, Friday the 10th to Sunday the 12th, in London England, is the Narcotics Anonymous convention.  This takes place in the Quaker Meeting House in Euston, which is a bit of London.  It's funny, I've been there in both capacities, as attempted Quaker, and successful addict.

I have a friend who is going, and there will be other folk I've known, although I haven't been to a meeting for over a year.  I'm so multidenominational, I don't mind where people get their fix, subtle or blatant, so long as they're ok when I meet them, and I hear good reports of them, obviously.

But, the fact is, I can't really believe what I don't believe.  The twelve-step fellowship, at least Narcotics Anonymous, 'preaches' a 'complete abstinence' from all 'mind-altering' substances line.  Frankly, I can't be bothered with that.  Let's face it, surely, if we're half-together, we're gonna be stoned and/or drunk some nights in the weeks/months ahead, in company or alone?

Speak for yourself, Benjamin of Turnham Green (if that is your real name), I find that I'm all-or-nothing kinda guy, one is too many, a thousand too few.  And I, the alleged Benjamin of Turnham Green, say that's probably to your merit, but, in short, I don't think I can go to the NA Convention, even as an observer, because there's something too much of the cut-price cult about it - I'd rather do my own thinking, even if I end up dead.

'Isn't it better to die true to yourself, than live someone else's lie?'

Here's a song, by me:  Narcotics Anonymous Convention Song

1 comment: