Thursday 19 March 2015

MORE WILL BE REVEALED

Hi, and thanks for being you.  You might know that the first 22 posts of this blog are the text of my ebook, 'How To Become A Crack Addict' (Jan to April 2013), and from then on it's the fairly frequent musings of your true author, Benjamin of Turnham Green, or Benjamin Lo-Fi, if you know the musical me.  I've connected this blog to Google+ now, I think, and so am wondering if this will mean more people might see it.  So here goes, with my first experimental post since going Google...


MORE WILL BE REVEALED

So there'd I sit, in a Narcotics Anonymous meeting, number 355 or something, wondering when 'it' was going to be revealed, and would it be in time for me to still be walking, non-psychotic, or derelict in a gutter?  But no time is wasted, I guess.  Perhaps if I hadn't sat in several hundred self-absorption sessions in various church cellars and community halls, I would still be doing it now, trying to work out why one apparently had to give up 'everything' just to get 'clean'.  I mean, there were some guys in there who thought you shouldn't take antidepressants from your doctor, and who even had a timetable for you to use when weaning yourself of Methadone.  But there were also some loving, kind people, who, in their varying ways, helped to save a life, or lives.

Even though I was reluctant, resentful, and resistant to the ethos on offer, of 'complete abstinence' (however one measures that), I was at least among other human beings, with a cup of tea or coffee in my clutches, and at least I could speak, if I wanted to, and be heard by at least some of those present.  But often I was simply going through the verbal motions, trying to present a nice, neat speech about how awful crack was, and how I was like 'an ant following a trail of formic acid' around the various sidestreets of Shepherd's Bush, in search of the other naughty insects.  I would even describe with eloquence the comedown, the remorse, the days in bed, the empty cupboard, but nothing happened, by chance, providence, or intention, or a subtle blend of the three.

Then there was residential rehab, where I was also playacting - twenty weeks of sitting in morning groups giving encouraging feedback to peers, whilst occasionally reciting an insightful description of my own dilemma, knowing full well that what I was saying wasn't what I was feeling.

Then back out into the real world, returning to my little studio-flat, where I still am, like a funeral-director seeing his chapel of rest after months away due to subsidence, or small earthquake.

And then, after vague attempt, even vaguer failure, I find I've faltered into 2015, which is just a number, I know.  But more has been revealed, more than I thought would be if/when I ever got off crack.  If there's such a thing as 'recovery', I don't think it means recovery from the much-mentioned 'disease of addiction', but more a recovery of things lost.  And even a discovery of things new.


It's daunting.  Here's footage of me putting up the backdrop of the little comedy evening I do, with a tune by me, awaiting its lyrics...

Thanks for dropping by, and being you.

No comments:

Post a Comment