Wednesday 31 July 2013

AFTERMATH: ASBO SALLY


As you may know, the first 22 episodes of this blog, from Jan to April 2013, are the text of my book, 'How To Become A Crack Addict', which is available on amazon, as an ebook, so as not to waste paper.  From that point on, the blog is the daily, or near-daily musings of yours truly, Benjamin of Turnham Green, raconteur and repressed metrosexual.  And here are today's reflections...

ASBO SALLY

She's good at what she does, but what she does is bad.  There goes ASBO Sally, copper-topped and damaged, by the market where I met her.  If I'm over the road, trying to slip into the station, unseen, she'll often bellow over, 'Dan, Dan, it's Sally...Dan!'  Cos she's like that.

Saw her today.  I was sidling by the market, on my way to an interview at Chicken Cottage, and she caught me.  Her gruff salute seemed to invoke a stickiness of tongue, and I, flylike, tumbled in.  It was all ok, though, because, somehow, now when I'm presented with the opening approach, the freakwave Discovery speak of, I see calmer waters beyond.  I also feel the sickness of the initial drowning, the sopping deck, rainsoaked trawlermen depressed and agog on gleaming boards, knowing they have come out too far, taken too much, but must dredge deeper, harder, further, faster, reflecting how they used to be casters of nets, but turned, with too-slow warning, to marionettes...

...which kinda helps.

And that, you may be relieved to know, is all I have to say today.

I once wrote this song, about maritime issues...


No comments:

Post a Comment