Tuesday 1 April 2014

LUXURY PROBLEM

Good day, and thank you for coming.  You might already know that the first 22 posts of this blog are the text of my ebook 'How To Become A Crack Addict' (from Jan to April 2013).  You can also buy it for a modest fee on amazon, which I heartily encourage, and, if you do, please do leave a review, whatever you think of it, as all feedback is precious to me.  Meanwhile, here is today's scintillating entry of the blog, and a link to a song of mine on youtube at the end, if you're still awake...


LUXURY PROBLEM

One of my favourite clichés from the months, nay, years I spent haunting the rooms of Narcotics Anonymous, and other twelve-step congregations.  But today I had one...a luxury problem, that is.

I was in Nero, a well-known coffee-shop near to my exclusive pad, when I realised I needed the loo (possibly brought on by my Americano (which I'd nearly finished)).  Was I to go toilet, and return to my drink?  Or should I finish it, and then go?  I had to factor in the fact that the drink, about half an hour old, had been bathing in strong sunlight, as shone through the southwest-facing window (it was around four in the afternoon (for optimum shine)).  Feeling torn, perplexed, and peeved, I felt it was best to take my toilet, and return to enjoy the last inch of my Americano without the nagging from below hampering my enjoyment of it.  And so I did.  On my return, I savoured another ten to fifteen minutes at table, reading my braille Old Curiosity Shop, and sipping with a newfound nonchalance my still-warm Americano.  And I didn't even feel that guilty about spending someone else's holiday, possibly yours, for the thousandth day of this peculiar sabbatical.

And, to return to my theme, this was indeed a luxury problem.  In the thick of my using, I probably wouldn't have even got to Nero, that well-known coffee-shop near my bijou cabin, nor would I have been reading in braille my Dickens, nor would I have even been thankful of the sun's beams tweaking through the glass, warming both me and my beverage.

And the people who work there are so friendly, and I didn't really mind that I'd been in there virtually every day of the year, so far.  They do a chocolate bear now, you know, called Bruno.

And here is a song in tribute to coffee-shops and cappuccinos everywhere...
The Coffee Shop Of Dreams

And that's all I have to say today, if that's ok.  Tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment